I fogot how much I love Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Recently, I have been reading some Bonhoeffer from an anthology I have. What great stuff! Here are some of the things I had underlined.
- "It is very easy to overestimate the importance of our own achievements in comparison with what we owe others."
- God’s truth judges created things out of love, and Satan’s truth judges them out of envy and hatred."
- "It is the characteristic excellence of the strong
man that he can bring momentous issues to the fore and make a decision
about them. The weak are always forced to decide between alternatives
they have not chosen themselves."
- "To endure the cross is not tragedy; it is the suffering which is the fruit of an exclusive allegiance to Jesus Christ."
- "If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction."
- "In normal life we hardly realize how much more we receive than
we give; life can be rich only with such realization."
- "You have granted me many blessings; let me also accept what is
hard from your hand."
- "Our enemies are those who harbor hostility against us, not those
against whom we cherish hostility… As a Christian I am called
to treat my enemy as a brother and to meet hostility with love.
My behavior is thus determined not by the way others treat me, but
by the treatment I receive from Jesus."
- "To be silent does not mean to be inactive; rather it means to breathe
in the will of God, to listen attentively and be ready to obey."