- I didn’t get much of a chance to watch the Republican National Convention, though I did get to see some of Chris Christie’s speech. His appeal is that he is raw and open with people. He gives people the sense he’s going to tell them the truth. He’s not a spinner and people respect that. Let us speakers take note.
- If I were going to pick a final game of the World Series, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup or Super Bowl to watch, I’d pick the Stanley Cup or World Series. The NBA should win, but the officials take half of the fun out of the game. The Super Bowl (save Giants/Patriots 1) usually doesn’t provide much drama. How about you?
- The young woman who cuts my hair (not a Christian) asked me what pastors actually do. I said, “We try to help people grow.” It’s the best I could do spur of the moment. I wish I could have had five minutes to formulate a more full response. But, substantively, it wouldn’t be a lot different. I surely would have added, “In Christ.” But, to grow is to grow in Christ.
- After only one week, I’m LOVING preaching through James. I’d rather preach through a book of the Bible than anything else. That’s pretty much all I do anyway, but it’s good to enjoy exposition and application.
- If Christians believe God does not sin, why do we spend so much time asking questions about his “fairness” or “justice” in comparison to question our own fairness or justice? God can handle our questions, but we would do well to remember if there is a disconnect between our ethical sense and God’s–it probably isn’t His that’s off. We might need to recalibrate our ethics to His, not adjust God’s to our own supposedly high sense of ethics.
- There is nothing like a good hike. No music, no phone, nothing but the sounds, smells and sights of the hills.
- I’m finishing up a small writing project for Leadership Network’s Leadia app. It will out sometime in October. If you are an iPhone or iPad user, Leadia is a great ministry learning tool–complete with writing and video. Click here for more information.
- At dinner last night, Emily was talking about how beautiful it was to watch our girls swim in the ocean with the freedom to yell, get pummeled by waves, and just be kids. She said, “It’s like God wrestling with them on the living room floor.” I loved that.
- Video of the week: “Famous Last Words,” By Rhett and Link. Never say these 29 things. In honor of Labor Day–stay safe 🙂
Have a great weekend! Do something fun and rest from your labors.