In light of a heavy week here in America, today’s FSOC will have a more serious tone.
Here are some things I’m thinking about this Friday morning:
- There is no bigger coward than a premeditated terrorist like the murderer in Colorado last night.
- As a father, I can’t help but think of the parents who let their daughters go to the movies last night and didn’t know it would be the last time they would see them. We all need to pray for those families and hug our kids a bit tighter today.
- Some are calling for the Penn State athletic program to be wiped out over the awful Sandusky tragedy. I don’t think that’s fair. However, if Ohio State and USC received the penalties they did, draconian penalties for the football program are in order. I just don’t see why the women’s cricket team need to be banished because of Jerry Sandusky.
- Sunday at New Vintage Church, I’m preaching on sexuality–something I try to do at least once a year. I actually try to address it several times a year, as I do money. These are sensitive subjects. So what? There is a deep need for biblical teaching in these areas and the bible has plenty to say on both subjects.
- I watched the George Zimmerman interview this week. His comment, “It was God’s will,” was run with by the media and taken out of context to make him look like a religious fanatic. I hate when that happens. He was clearly not saying it was God’s will that he kill Trayvon Martin. I’m no Zimmerman fan, but that’s unfair to both him and religion in general.
- People are going to leave your church. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s going to happen regardless of what you do. Pay attention to who leaves…it may tell you more than who arrives. Remember healthy people leave unhealthy systems and unhealthy people leave healthy systems. Sometimes, people leaving is actually a sign of health. Other times, it’s a sign of unhealth initiating decline. Don’t assume you’ve done something wrong when someone leaves…and don’t assume you haven’t.
- Early World Series picks – Angels vs. Nationals (if Strasburg is pitching). Angels vs. Reds (1) or Dodgers (2) if not.
- Summer is in full swing here in Southern California. Cities are going bankrupt all over the place, but at least we’re all enjoying the sunshine and beaches–until the bill collectors come to repossess them. I think the union pension funds have dibs on the sun, and China has called the beaches.
What’s on your mind this Friday morning? Any early World Series predictions, or thoughts on Penn State? Any thoughts on the George Zimmerman interview or other items in this week’s FSOC?