Here are some things on my mind this Friday:
- I’m in the middle of reading God is Red: The Secret Story of How Christianity Survived and Flourished in Communist China. What an incredible book and amazing testimony to God’s work abroad.
- Every Christian should have to go overseas at least once every ten years to keep us from becoming too ethnocentric and despairing over America too much. God is at work all over the world.
- The fact that I’m preaching Revelation while reading God is Red just adds to the adventure.
- It’s been a while since a post on this humble blog has made the impact of this week’s “When People Speak Ill of You.” I guess it’s because it’s something we ALL go through.
- These quality of these three things form the measuring stick for any Mexican restaurant: salsa (or queso if you’re eating Tex-Mex), carne asada, and the tortillas.
- My favorite tortillas are at a great restaurant down in Old Town San Diego where I watch an older Mexican lady wipe her brow and work the sweat into the tortillas she’s making. I guess that’s the secret sauce.
- I couldn’t be less interested in the NBA now, or any more interested in the upcoming baseball season. A few years ago, it was the opposite for the same reasons–league attitude, dirty players, strike residue. I still love the NBA…but not like I used to.
- Watching the Republican candidates go through this flogging makes me wonder why anyone would want to be President.
- MLB Network asked, on Twitter, who the best overall player in baseball is right now. I said, Matt Kemp. Agree or disagree?
- I paid $4.49 a gallon for gas two days ago (87 octane). (this is where I deleted what I typed after that ;))
- Em and I saw a double-feature this week: The Iron Lady and My Week with Marilyn. Those were two magisterial performances by great actresses. As a movie, I liked My Week with Marilyn better.
- I’ve been working a bit with N.T. Wright’s new translation of the New Testament. It’s really helpful alongside other translations for a 10% Wright turn on things (get it… “Wright” turn?).
What’s on your mind this Friday?